We want everyone to be safe while out shopping this holiday season. Here are some tips to keep in mind so you are prepared and aware during this holiday season.
- Try to shop during the day, but if you do shop at night, do not do it alone.
- Dress casually and comfortably.
- Avoid wearing expensive jewelry.
- Do not carry a purse or wallet, if possible. Consider bringing a security travel pouch instead.
- Always carry your driver’s license or identification along with necessary cash, checks and/or a credit card you expect to use.
- Recognize when you are rushed, distracted and stressed out, and stay alert to what is going on around you.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
- Pay for purchases with a check or credit card when possible.
- Keep cash in your front pocket.
- If you discover that a credit card is missing, notify the credit card company as soon as possible. Don’t assume that you misplaced it and will find it later.
- Keep a record of all of your credit card numbers in a safe place at home.
- Be extra careful if you do carry a wallet or purse. They are the prime targets of criminals in crowded shopping areas, terminals, bus stops, on buses and other rapid transit.
- Avoid overloading yourself with packages. It is important to have clear visibility and freedom of motion if you are approached.
- Beware of strangers approaching you for any reason. At this time of year, con-artists may try various methods of distracting you, including working in teams, with the intention of taking your money or belongings.
Montaldo, Charles. “Holiday Shopping Safety Tips.” ThoughtCo, Feb. 11, 2019, thoughtco.com/holiday-shopping-safety-tips-972965